Do you need to know how to swim?
- Yes it is important to be able to swim
How warm is the water ?
- Summer and Autumn are the warmest months but you will be provided with a new 4mm Quiksilver winter wetsuit to keep you warm anyway!. The water temperature is around 15 degrees calcius.
What is your Cancellation Policy?
- A cancellation or no show with less than 24 hours will not receive a refund.
Will we see dolphins?
- There is always a possibility as we share the oceans around this area with the beautiful Hector dolphins which are only found in NZ.
- We also surf with seals and occasionally see penguins from time to time!
- Not to mention lots of fascinating sea birds diving and swooping around us!
How much time do I need if I would like to go surfing today?
- We suggest taking equipment for the day in case you want to check out a couple of beaches. A half day is possible but we would recommend making a day of it to make the most of this incredible area.
Can I still go surfing in bad weather?
- We do as generally the waves are good then!! We are one of the only activities in Akaroa that can operate in windy or adverse weather conditions.
- As long as ocean conditions are suitable we are surfing every day! Our Surf lessons are the only water sports in Akaroa that operate in bad weather as this is often when the waves are great! Our Safaris are great wet weather option if you are looking for a great way to spend a few hours!
What do I need to bring if renting equipment for the day?
- You need to bring lots of energy, drinking water, warm clothes, a towel, and sunscreen, and your own car if renting equipment. If you have your own vehicle make sure you have roof racks or can fit an 8 foot soft top in the back safely! You will need to bring a form of ID and a valid credit card or cash for a damage deposit.
Where do we surf during the surfing lesson?
Our lessons will always be held in the hidden gem outer bays of the banks peninsula. These beaches are always quiet , peaceful and have great beginner waves. If you are renting equipment we can give you advice on where the conditions would be suitable on the day.
Will I be able to stand up on the board in my first lesson?
Most students will get to stand up on their first lesson especially with the help of our qualified instructors. It may take a few lessons to ride an unbroken wave, this process will greatly be speed up by taking lessons regularly. This will assist with timing, understanding the ocean and patterns of waves.
No. We are mostly rent equipment but open for group lessons of 4 or more participants booking together when the conditions are favorable. Please contact us if you have a group that would love a lesson with us and we can check the forecasts
Do I need to book in advance for a surfing lesson?
- Yes! We offer intimate small group lessons and we only have 7~14 spaces per trip so pre-booking is essential. Email us for availability.
Are you open every day?
We are open every day for rentals if the conditions are safe. We only open for group bookings of 4 or more participants on the same reservation so booking in advance is vital if you want a lesson.
Are there age restrictions on joining the surf lesson?
- Children must be a minimum of 12 years to join a lesson. If you have young children you can contact us for a private family lesson but you may need to provide your own childrens wetsuits as we only cater for age 12 and up for wetsuit sizes